Board of Directors
Board of Directors
Left to right: GOALS Coach Nadege, Sam, Paul, volunteer Brendan, Fritz, Joan, Kona, Ken and GOALS Program Manager Emilio
- Kona Shen, Founder: Kona graduated from Brown University with a degree in Development Studies and a regional focus on Haiti. She had been working in Haiti on short-term projects since 2007 before founding GOALS in 2010. Read more about her work here, or, learn more about her background and experiences that led to creating GOALS here.
- Toby Simon, a long-time GOALS volunteer, has been integral in shaping GOALS’ sexual health curriculum and leading our coaches in seminars to develop personal leadership and address gender-based violence in Haitian communities. She is a fluent Haitian Creole speaker and is also active with YWCA Haiti.
- Scott Jackson is a teacher, Peace Corps alumni and soccer player who works with Haitian American immigrant students in Brooklyn and is already contributing to our organizational growth.
- Ken Sommers teaches history and coaches American football at The Out-of-Door Academy in Sarasota, FL. He is a former Peace Corps Volunteer (Ukraine ’01-’03) with a MBA from Georgetown University, and has always been interested in working in Haiti. GOALS’ use of soccer to affect community change aligns with Ken’s passion for sports, kids and philanthropy.
- Fritz Pierre-Louis is a businessman and community leader from Leogane. His company, Magepa S.A., constructs safe and affordable housing in Haiti.
- Sam Sezak is a partner at Blue Heron Capital who also lectures and consults around the world on angel investing. Sam spent several years in Ukraine and in Poland, first as a US Peace Corps Volunteer and then as a consultant. Sam holds a Bachelor of Science Degree from the Cornell School of Hospitality Management and a Masters of Business from Georgetown University.
- Joan Flocks is a Professor of Law at the Center for Governmental Responsibility at the University of Florida’s Levin College of Law. Joan worked in Haiti in 1983 and has focused on Haiti’s judicial system, American poverty law, and environmental justice throughout her career to date.
About the Board of Directors
The Board of Directors is responsible for overseeing and supporting GOALS’ program operations, administration, and strategic growth. Members are appointed by the Board Chair, and nominations come from current members, donors, and supporters. The board then considers nominated candidates based on their commitment to support GOALS’ mission and future growth. If you are interested in learning more, please write us at email@example.com.
Nadege, her son, and Kona together in Destra (photo: Le JIT Productions)